Sunday, January 20, 2013

Karma Yoga at the Ashram

It has been nearly two weeks here at the Sivananda Retreat Centre and Ashram in the Bahamas.  It is not necessarily easy at times ... there are challenges of learning who people are and the rhythm of the Centre. I have been given my work assignment and it is to be in the Boutique approximately 5-6 hours per day and to keep it looking fresh and clean, monitor the bookshelves, do laminating of the various Indian saints and dieties and to set up special displays. I have also been trained on cash.  It seems like a lot but is fun being around the guests and near the food snacks (healthy things like energy bars and bars and smoothies with kale that I love!).  The weather is warm and the sea a little cold for me but soon I think it will be warm enough for me to swim ... I tried it once and I walk on the beach each day after my shift ... usually between 3 and 5 pm.  I have settled into a routine and rhythm of life in a tent (pretty simple and basic life) and am enjoying the yoga each morning between 8 and 10 am.  I love the food and the outdoor living and all the people from various parts of the world and have even bumped into people that I have met at Val Morin at the Sivananda Centre there in the past!  How fun, a woman who I did the juice fast last spring with, she is from Tremblant and another woman who is from Belgium and is doing karma yoga for over one year now at places around the world.

The lifestyle is very disciplined here.  It is part of the "practice" ... we are awoken at 5.30 am by cow bells and they ring continuously til the morning meditiation starts at 6.00 am.  Then two hours of meditation and chanting and yogic philosophy and then a short staff meeting and yoga for two hours at 8.00 am.  Brunch at 10.00 am and then work from 11 to 3 pm.  I have three hours off then and dinner is at 6.00 pm.  I go back to work for one hour between 6.45 and 7.30 to handle last minute customers and clean/close the boutique.  It is a full day but very worthwhile.  I am learning a ton about myself ... more posts about that in future.

I am not missing snow or shovelling or snow tires or anything of that business.  The beach is absolutely glorious and I am feeling very well and recovered from my cold and flu of December. 

More to follow.  This will give you some idea of life here.  O, my tent is well sealed, we have had some evening rain and condensation and I am quite cosy!  I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment