Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Travelling as a woman of a "certain age" ...

It has been interesting to be travelling around India as a mature woman.  I find because I am not in a hurry, have no desire to do a great deal of purchasing, and dress as Dr Geetha, the Ayurvedic physician reminded me, in a "respectful" way, I am given a great deal of respect.  I am not nagged into coming into every little shop and both men and women seem to be very comfortable chatting with me about life in India, especially in the South, which is quite a bit more relaxed and easy than the North (where I had travelled in the past).

Life is relatively (for India!) quiet in Fort Cochin, really a "haven" compared to the heaving noise and dirt and congestion and pollution in other parts.  I have been here the last 4 days and have visited churches, monuments, museums and countless shops while basing myself in a "homestay", a large stately home right in this small town where the family rents out 6 rooms for bed and breakfast.  I lucked out and got the best room with a bright yellow theme and windows all round and a front balcony to sit on.  I've pretty much got used to the Indian systems of bathing and eating and travelling and using rickshaws (taking one's chances on getting to the destination in one piece).

Yesterday was an eventful day and one of the highlights was being dressed in a traditional cotton sari and I will place the photo on Facebook ... it was such fun but took quite a while to get it looking just so.  Two lovely young Indian women dressed me up and waited patiently as we took photos and I explained gently that no, I was not buying the sari.

Took a ferry over to the mainland today, a pretty rickety vessel, but I got there and back and had a wonderful Keralan lunch (not too hot food, again unlike the heavy food of the North of India) with lots of coconut milk.  I am eating excellent food and drinking lots of fresh juices, teas and bottles of water.  The food here is quite good and very very cheap!  Lots of fruit and fresh vegetables and much, much basmati rice.

Tomorrow I'm off to the mountains to Munnar for a 3 day stay at another Homestay.  The mountains are full of tea and coffee plantations and wonderful views as well as much cooler than near the sea.

I continue to enjoy every day, every minute of this journey.  India is not easy as a traveller and much patience and good humour is essential!  It is good that I don't have a tight Itinerary and can move around relatively easily.

Am flying to Chennai on Satuirday and will post from Auroville, my next stop for three weeks.

2 comments:

  1. B I hope that your trip continues to be as amazing and healing as you had hoped
    xo
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are enjoying yourself so much ;-)

    ReplyDelete