Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The treatments at Rasa

It has been 20 days since I arrived in Kerala to begin this Panchakarma journey.  I have not regretted it for one minute!  The staff - from the driver on my arrival to the cooks, cleaners/washing ladies, to the treatment young women - and even the owner who lives in the US - I spoke with her through Skype within a few days of arrival - everyone is truly kind, gentle and feels it is a privilege to assist us here at Rasa in any way possible.


The entire experience has been orchestrated smoothly and gently.  From the daily schedule (arising around 6 am, but the music and chanting from the temple starts at 4.30 or 5.00 am), treatment timings (each day morning or afternoon for approximately one hour) to the meal times (three meals, all delicious vegetarian according to our Dosha (or constitution which is determined by the Ayurvedic doctor who talks to us each day except Sunday) ... everything is well tuned, smooth and easy to enjoy ourselves.  I could probably stay another week but leave tomorrow.


The treatments have been especially interesting. It was determined quite quickly by Dr Geeta that I have a Vata imbalance - very very common - and would need to begin with some oil massages, head massages and steam baths.  Lots and lots of oil, slipping and sliding all over the treatment table.  The treatment area - because this is a very traditional experience - is on the rooftop with a thatched roof and four small rooms - two for treatments, and one room holds the steam bath unit which is constructed from thatching and we sit in there with our head popping out.  Ayurveda does not support head getting too steamy.

Other treatments have included hot compresses of herbs being pounded all over my body and then rubbing andmassaging with the herbs, followed by a quick oil massage.  I have also had an oil bath where the oil is dribbled all over the body (we wear little cloth g-strings which don't protect much!, one cannot be shy here) as well as a hot rice bath where the rice is held in a gauze bag and rubbed and dragged all over the body.  I have also had steam for the sinuses before bed, special medicines for sleeping and helping with overall rest along with the delicious food,daily fruit juices, herbal teas, water that is boiled with 7 different herbs for sipping throughout the day as well as lots of medicated ghee (clarified butter) through different orifices.  All very relaxing - lots of time to sleep, lie in the hammock and on one or two occasions I have had a taxi take myself and another "patient" into Trivandrum to see temples and do a little shopping.

The effects of this entire Panchakarma (deep cleansing and healing) are continuing for the next 45 days so I will be especially careful not to overexert myself in India - I had not planned on this being a marathon tour anyway as I was aware that after Panchakarma one needs to be cautious about sun and too much swimming in the sea.  It has really been a challenging experience - my body, mind and spirit feel very relaxed and grounded now.   Yoga and meditation each day has helped as well; we do our own practices in the morning usually.

But I have chosen to come back to Rasa for 2 days before I leave India so I will be here from Dec 22-early on the 25 for a few more treatments and consult with Dr Geeta.


So tomorrow I'm off to Kovalam, a seaside resort south of here (I will stay at a quiet place called Tree Tops) and relax for a few days before taking the train north to Fort Cochin and lots of sightseeing and touring.  It is a busy place and promises to be exciting.


More to follow ...


No comments:

Post a Comment