Monday, November 15, 2010

Visiting Berlin

Berlin has been everything I had dreamed it would be ... the last two days have been spent exploring, talking with people here about the life especially since the Wall came down ... took a one hour boat trip along the River Spree yesterday which pointed all the main sights ... food has been incredible especially the simplicity and at times downright meat laden meals of Ukraine and Poland ... a great variety of delcious food here. I love the architecture and the history of this city and I have been enjoying the cleanliness, designs and everything working aspect of life here ... after Turkey and Greece and Eastern Europe it is a welcome change. Those fine details begin to make a difference after many days on the road! After the diesel fumes and insanity of the roads in the above countries, Berlin is a dream ... the fumes are much less because there are exhaust restrictions throughout the main areas and believe it or not, jay walkers are fined just like they are driving their own cars ... hence no one walks on a red light! Thez can lose their driving license if they abuse the law too manz times. This really shocked us after the free for all in Turkey and Greece ... where absolutely anything goes! And pedestrians have no rights ... it is nerve racking at the verz least.

By this time however I am pretty ready to return home ... was not sure I would say that toward the end of this exceptional journey but it is time ... I am weary of dragging my suitcase, looking for and settling into different hotels ... looking for modest and nutritious food etc etc. I need to recharge my batteries at home ... So this afternoon off to London Gatwick, overnite in a Yotel room at Gatwick and then back to Canada tomorrow. Lucky me that my all grown up son will pick us up ... More to follow ...

1 comment: