Thursday, February 21, 2013

On Being a Karma Yogi

I thought of this blog post while meditating this morning ... my mind does wonder off in all different directions as is the way of the mind.  The morning and evening satsangs, or gatherings, are 2 hrs in length so after the meditation of 30 minutes there is chanting and then some kind of music or lecture/discussion.  It is usually quite lively but this morning my mind drifted and I wanted to share how it is to be a karma yogi at an ashram.

The Caribbean is absolutely gloriously beautiful, the beach clean and the sand warm and lovely to walk on.  The temperatures have fluctuated dramatically over the last 2 weeks and I have had days where there was pelting rain and quite cold for here ... well, let's say in the low 60's but with the humidity it felt colder.  Then the days are hot and sunny and I run around in as little as the ashram guidelines allow - shoulders and knees covered.  Unless we are on the beach.

Now to get back to being a karma yogi - it is challenging, as I work approximately 5 hours per day in the boutique/health hut where I started out stocking the shelves with books, clothing and t-shirts, sweets, drinks and then was instructed on the cash handling and cash register operation and now am in charge of cooking cookies and other sweets including smoothies and grilled cheese each day from 11 to 3 pm.  I am on my feet all day and that is a challenge (memories of Yoga Plus but much more relaxed for those ofyou who remember that adventure) but I am pretty self directed and have another karma yogi helper from the teacher training program some of the time.  We can get great ingredients for everything here but the costs are high and these are reflected in what we charge for the goodies - usually $3.00 for a large Sivananda oatmeal cookie and up to 6.00 for a kale smoothie.

Karma yogis are many - we have staff meetings each morning - it seems there may be up to 50 of us, I'm getting to know everyone, most come for 3 months or longer and are from all over the world.  It is fun to meet and chat with people from around the world - when I get time, meals (we have two each day) are morning and afternoon - 10 am after yoga practice on the lovely outdoor platforms overlooking the sea - and 6 pm after I have had a walk/swim and rest - but they are short meals as I work again after each meal.  I am eating lest and savouring it more.

Life is good overall - when it was raining heavily a couple of weeks ago I was concerned at the safety and security in my tent - but all went well and I was all dry.  A good tent and other equipment saved me.

I have a few hours off here and there to manage my laundry and swimming and yoga and friendly chatting - enough to feel like it is not all work.  Karma yoga is not for everyone, I have found it pays to develop a thick skin, ask for what I need ( like a few extra hours off if one is too tired ) and a willingness to pitch in as there is much to do.  The property is not large but many hands make light work.

This is a most beautiful place and I would encourage anyone who is curious about it to check it out online or come down and take a program.  The presenters and most of the yoga instructors are excellent.  There is a teacher training program with up to 50 participants each month - it will be my job this month to make little bouquets of flowers for each for their graduation, which is a great pleasure.

Life is good, what a way to spend the winter!  I feel healthy and well and very grateful to have this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment